Online Pharmacy Technician Training
Become a Pharmacy Technician
California’s Central Valley needs skilled pharmacy technicians. This 100% online course will prepare you for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) National Certification exam and help you complete an externship with a leading pharmacy chain.
Job Outlook for Pharmacy Technicians
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), demand for pharmacy technicians will grow 12% through 2028 – that equates to over 30,000 new jobs!
- The BLS notes that on average, pharmacy technicians earn an annual salary of $32,700.
- Workforce analytics firm Burning Glass found that the greater Central Valley region has one of the fastest growing needs for pharmacy technicians. In fact, demand for jobs will grow by 14% over the next decade.
Pharmacy Technicians FAQs
WHAT DOES A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN DO?
Pharmacy technicians order and stock medications, prepare medications for distribution and provide information to patients. Pharmacy technicians may perform many of the same duties as a pharmacist; however, their work must be approved by a pharmacist before medication can be dispensed.
DO PHARMACY TECHNICIANS NEED A CERTIFICATION?
Requirements for pharmacy technicians vary by state, but most require certification, registration or licensure. Earning your certification from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) provides a valuable, industry-recognized credential that meets most states’ requirements.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN COURSE?
This pharmacy technician course can be completed in one year or less. This does not include the time you spend in an externship program or preparing and sitting for state licensure.
IS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN A GOOD CAREER?
As the population ages and the prevalence of chronic diseases rises, more pharmacy technicians will be needed in pharmacies and may even see themselves taking on greater responsibilities in their role.
- Learn federal and state laws that govern pharmacies, as well as the ethics of pharmacy practice.
- Be fully prepared to sit for the National Certification exam titled Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE), offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
- Become eligible to apply for a 100+ hour externship at a national pharmacy chain.
Prerequisites and Requirements
There are no prerequisites to take this course. However, the externship requires that you have a high school diploma and be at least 18 years old.
- ORIENTATION TO PHARMACY
- History, foundations and role of the pharmacy technician in today’s healthcare system
- PHARMACY LAW AND ETHICS
- Introduction to law, liability and federal regulations of controlled substances
- PHARMACEUTICAL CALCULATIONS
- Basic, community and institutional pharmacy math to calculate dosages and dilutions
- The science of pharmacology, evolution of drugs and administration of pharmacological agents
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- Verbal and non-verbal methods, HIPAA regulations
- INSURANCE AND INVENTORY PROCEDURES
- Cost analysis, purchasing procedures and record keeping
- LAB MODULE
- Interactive lab for the retail and hospital settings
- CLINICAL ROTATIONS
- Virtual externship in the retail and hospital settings
- FINAL EXAM
- Final comprehensive exam to qualify for externship
Melissa Dunworth has been a certified pharmacy technician since 1997. She is registered with the New Mexico Board of Pharmacy. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Speech and Hearing Sciences.
Betty Stahl holds a doctorate in pharmacy from Shenandoah University. Over the past several years, she has taught pharmacy technician programs at ASA College in New York City and ACT in Arlington, Virginia. Stahl has also worked as a pharmacist in independent and hospital settings.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is 100% online. Start anytime.