Frequently Asked Questions


1. What are the eligibility requirements?

You must be enrolled at Stanislaus State or be eligible to transfer from a California community college. Every program has its own set of eligibility requirements. Most programs require at least a 2.75. Others require a 3.0. Some programs have coursework prerequisites or language requirements. Please refer to the specific program descriptions for eligibility requirements.

2. Will I get academic credit?

Yes. Before going abroad, you will meet with faculty members and your advisor to complete Course Equivalency Forms on which you will identify what classes you will take overseas and what Stanislaus State credit you will be awarded for completing those classes. Students who plan ahead and who work closely with their academic advisors usually get full credit for the classes they take abroad.

Sometimes students want to study abroad in a country where courses may not be offered in their majors. In such cases, most students declare a minor and earn credits toward that minor while they are studying abroad. For example, many students study abroad to complete minors in foreign languages.

3. Do I have to be fluent in a foreign language to study abroad?

Sometimes courses are taught in English in non-English speaking countries. However, students usually do study the language of the host country while abroad. Some programs require foreign language skills, but many do not. For specific foreign language requirements, read the literature for each program.

4. Do I have to be a Junior to study abroad?

No.  Programs exist for students at all levels of university education. The best time for you to study abroad depends on your own academic, personal, and professional goals. 

5. Can Graduate Students study abroad?

Yes. It is essential, however, that first-year graduate students understand that studying abroad at this point in their academic careers removes them from the home campus department and advisor at a crucial juncture in their studies.

Students are urged to meet with their home campus advisors to discuss how the study abroad experience will apply toward the graduate degree program.

Graduate students may want to study abroad to acquire foreign language skills, however courses will most likely be credited at the undergraduate level.

Students pursuing credentials or second baccalaureate degrees are admitted as post baccalaureates, but are considered undergraduate students.

6. Is there an age limit?

No. Stanislaus State students of all ages can study abroad. You don’t have to be a traditional college-age student. Older students are welcome!

7. Can I take my spouse or children with me?

Some programs allow you to take dependents. Consult the specific information for each program.

8. What about internships and working abroad? Can I get a job overseas?

Our primary focus is on academic study programs at foreign universities. However, some of our international partners will help study abroad students find internships.

Students should know that their top priority while participating in our programs must be university study, not work. In fact, you may not legally work in most countries. You should not and cannot count on working while you are abroad.

9. How much will it cost?

The total cost for a year overseas depends on a number of factors, including the cost of living in the host country, the local inflation rate, the currency exchange rate, the length of time spent abroad, and each individual’s unique spending habits.

While studying abroad, you will pay the same kinds of expenses that you pay here in California: rent, food, clothing, transportation, personal expenses, etc.

It is important to study the cost requirements for your program very carefully. You must make sure that you understand the realistic costs and that you know where the money is coming from before you go, since you cannot and should not count on working while you are abroad.

Many students are eligible for financial aid to study abroad. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To maximize aid eligibility, apply between January 1 and March 2 of the calendar year in which you plan to begin the program abroad.

Contact the Stanislaus State Financial Aid Office for information on financial aid and scholarships.