Graduation FAQs


What is the difference between Graduation and Commencement?

  • Graduation is the conferral of a degree and the issuance of a diploma. A student graduates when he/she has filed an application for graduation and has fulfilled all the requirements for their degree. Students who have applied for graduation may participate in the Commencement ceremony, but this participation does not imply that they have graduated or that they have completed degree requirements.
  • Commencement is the formal ceremony that is held each May to recognize and honor the achievements of degree candidates, graduates, and teaching credential recipients
  • Each Spring the commencement brochure includes students who graduated the previous Fall and applicants for the current Spring and Summer. If you do not fall into the above group your name will not appear in the commencement brochure.

What requirements must be fulfilled to earn a Bachelor’s degree?

Refer to the University Catalog for the academic year in which you were admitted under BA requirements to your degree program for details regarding your particular major and unit requirements. No more than 70 units taken at a community college or another two-year college may be applied to this total.

What if I will be unable to complete my degree requirements by my anticipated graduation date and need to postpone my graduation semester?

You will need to re-submit an Application for Graduation, along with the $10 reapplication fee.

What happens when I re-submit an application for graduation?

You will NOT receive a new Graduation Approval Form (unless you are changing your major, adding a concentration, or minor). Use the first form received when you filed your first application and obtain the required signatures as normal.

When will my degree be posted?

Depending on the number of graduates this process can take up to 6-8 weeks after grades have been posted.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are ordered only after all graduates have cleared. We will send notice of the anticipated date diplomas will be mailed along with the verification of graduation letter.

What if I need proof of my degree?

Transcripts are the formal verification of degree(s) earned. You can obtain official transcripts online at, by mail by submitting a Request for Transcript form to the Enrollment Services Center in the Mary Stuart Rogers Building, Suite # MSR 120. Make sure to indicate on your request form “when degree is posted.”

more information on transcript requests

What happens if all degree requirements are not completed?

A copy of your outstanding degree requirements will be emailed to your University email address. You may need to change your graduation term and complete the remaining requirements.

Who do I contact if I have more questions or concerns regarding my degree requirements or the graduation process?

For degree requirements, you should contact your major department. If you have any questions about the graduation process, contact the Continuing and Professional Education office.

Where can I find additional information regarding the Commencement ceremony?

Refer to the Commencement web page.