How to Apply

Session Overview

To apply for admission in graduate studies, please follow the instructions below:

  1. Apply online at Cal State Apply. You can find a paper application here. Please be sure to mark non-resident in the citizenship portion of the application.

    • Please also visit the Graduate School’s website for submitting additional required documents. Some specialized graduate programs have program-specific application requirements. Be sure that you have reviewed your desired program’s webpage and are fully aware of their application requirements.
  2. Submit a Non-refundable Application Fee of $70 USD.
    • The $70 USD nonrefundable application fee can be paid by credit card during online application OR mailed in the form of a check, money order, or wire transfer payable to The California State University, Stanislaus.
  3. Write an autobiographical essay about yourself, your interests, and future plans on a separate sheet of paper. Approximately 500 to 750 words.
  4. Original or certified copies of Academic Credentials with literal English translation. All academic work must be included. 
    • Transcripts, certificates, diplomas, mark sheets, and test scores must be sent directly from the issuing institution or in a sealed envelope to International Education and Global Engagement to be considered official. All records submitted become the property of the University.

    • Records submitted by students who do not enroll are retained for only one year. The University reserves the right to determine what constitutes an official document. Certified English translations must accompany all non-English original documents.

  5. Official English Proficiency Score Report minimum requirements (Institution Code: 4713).
    • Graduate minimum requirements:
      • TOEFL iBT: 80 with part scores of 20 Reading, 19 Listening, 16 Writing
      • IELTS: 6.5 Band with part scores of 6.0
  6. Submit a Certificate of Finance Form.
  7. Submit an original or certified copy of a financial statement (no older than six months).
  8. A copy of the biographic information/photo page in your passport.
  9. Three Letters of Recommendation (if applicable).
  10. Official admission test score report (GRE* or GMAT*)- if applicable.
    • *Required by certain graduate programs.
  11. Evaluation of Academic Credentials (Credential Evaluation).

All students with coursework from countries other than the United States need to provide a report of course work and degree equivalency to U.S. standards – through a credential evaluation.

Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by one of the approved organizations listed here. These organizations are private enterprises that have been approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and they charge a fee for their services. In all instances, original, official documentation will be required when requesting an evaluation. 

When seeking the evaluation be sure to request a Comprehensive/Detailed Report, which must include the following:

  • Identification of institution(s) attended, dates of attendance, credential(s) earned, and the United States educational equivalent
  • Individual courses taken with semester units
  • Individual course grade equivalents
  • Course levels in terms of lower and upper-division, graduate and professional level for each post-secondary course evaluated
  • Overall grade point average (GPA)